Like it or not, it's here and it's happening. Today, the Kansas City Wizards will, as expected, officially announce that they are rebranding, and changing their name to Sporting Kansas City, Sporting Club Kansas City, or something of the variety.
The team has made a complete event out of the occasion, and is pulling out all the stops for the event.
I'm already down at the Power&Light district as of 11 a.m. for Brazil-Argentina, followed by USA-S. Africa at 1, followed by the announcemnt. (Come to Johnny's Tavern at the corner of 14th and Grand, find me and your first beer is on me.)
Some of the things you can expect to see today: (if you make it out to the announcement, watch it live on Metro Sports in Kansas City, or read about it online)
- The unveiling of Sporting KC as the club's new name and team crest.
- Giant balls.
- Lots of smaller balls. (You'll just have to come out to find out what that one means.)
- Designated Player Omar Bravo.
- Bravo possibly coming out wearing the team's new jerseys for the 2011 season? Maybe.
- The first viewing of the new shirt sponsor for 2011's jersey?
- Some very displeased fans.
- (Hopefully) a full explanation as to why the need for change, and why Sporting KC.
Whatever happens here in downtown Kansas City this evening, check back to The Daily Wiz for periodic updates throughout the day, and constant updates on my Twitter.