Bunburied: Sporting Kansas City falls 2-0 to New England

Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports

Aurelien Collin saw red, Teal Bunbury scored in stoppage and Lee Nguyen sealed it with a penalty as Sporting KC fell 2-0 in New England.

Things went from bad to worse and all the way to complete collapse in stoppage time as Sporting Kansas City fell 2-0 to the Revolution.

Teal Bunbury scored the game-winner for the Revs while a Lee Nguyen penalty sealed it for the home side.

Sporting Kansas City was able to push the ball forward in the first half but did not put a shot on goal the entire first half. New England would get some of the better opportunities, including the 12th minute when Jerry Bengston got in behind the defense and was one-on-one with Eric Kronberg. His shot went far right, however, and the Revs missed a golden opportunity to go up early.

Sporting KC got a great chance of their own in the 26th minute when Sal Zizzo found an opening on the right side of the box, but put too much power on his shot, sending it over the bar. It would be the best opportunity for Sporting KC in the half.

Teal Bunbury was making his presence felt on the offensive half, forcing Kronberg to make a couple of good saves, including a one-handed save in the 32nd minute. He would continue to do that until his eventual goal in the second half.

Toni Dovale was making his first start for Sporting Kansas City and was playing decent but his night would be cut short in the 41st minute after he complained of an illness. He would be pulled and Alex Martinez would be brought on to replace him as the first half wore down.

The second half started to get really interesting in the 74th minute when the Revs were leading an attack and Aurelien Collin went in late on a tackle on Diego Fagundez. Alan Kelly had no hesitation pulling out the red card on Collin, leaving Sporting KC to play with ten men for the last fifteen minutes.

Sporting KC almost went up nearly two minutes later as Benny Feilhaber found himself alone in the box, but his near post shot was shanked and nowhere near on frame to keep the score level at 0-0.

In stoppage time Teal Bunbury's persistence finally paid off as he was there to put in a Darrius Barnes pass to put the Revs up 1-0. It was Bunbury's first goal of the year.

Two minute later, the Sporting KC collapse would be complete when Uri Rosell would be called for a handball in the box, lucky to escape a red card himself. Lee Nguyen would convert the penalty and would seal the game for the Revs with a final score of 2-0.

Sporting KC is back in action next week at home against the Columbus Crew.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join The Blue Testament

You must be a member of The Blue Testament to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Blue Testament. You should read them.

Join The Blue Testament

You must be a member of The Blue Testament to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Blue Testament. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.