Sporting Kansas City just wrapped up their introductory press conference for Bobby Convey, Paulo Nagamura, and Jacob Peterson. Here are just some of the more interesting comments made today by Sporting KC head coach Peter Vermes, as well as a few thoughts from the new acquisitions.
- Vermes stated that it's hard to add quality players who have experience within Major League Soccer, but that he believes the club has done just that with the signings of all three players. Says he believes all three players will bring a lot of qualities not just on the field, but off the field as well. Vermes said that the locker room environment is enormous to a team's success, and that all three players are high-quality individuals.
- PV reiterated that Convey was brought in primarily to play the left winger position. When asked what position he favored, Convey said that he did prefer to play left wing, as it's the position that he has spent the most time playing in his career, but that he is willing to play any position Vermes asks him to. Convey said he'd like to finish his career in Kansas City.
- Vermes says that Nagamura is a versatile player that will be able to play all three midfield positions for Kansas City. He noted that Paulo is a furious competitor that can play box to box, and knows how to break up the opposition's scoring opportunities. Vermes reiterated that Paulo is 100% healthy and ready to go for the 2012 season.
- PV thinks that Peterson is an explosive player that has a great attacking mentality. Says Jacob can play all three forward positions. Peterson was on the U-20 team in 2005 that Vermes was an assistant coach on under Sigi Schmid, and that his time helping coach Jacob then played a part in Sporting's decision to sign him now.
- Peterson says he thrives on competition, and that it's a great situation having so many quality forwards. Says the players already on the team have rightfully earned their spots, but he looks forward to being in the mix.
- Interestingly, Vermes said that he tried trading for all three players during various times in the past.
- Vermes said that although the team does use a 4-3-3 formation, he tweaks the shape of the team from time to time. Having plenty of quality options is a must. Noted that the only way to improve play on the field is to increase competition.
- Vermes was adamant that simply making the playoffs won't do in 2012. The goal is to get to the MLS Cup this season.