As expected, MLS released their 2012 regular season schedule today, which means we can now take a look at Sporting Kansas City's slate.
Sporting KC's season opener will be March 10 when they face off against DC United at RFK Stadium. A week later, on March 17, Kansas City will host the New England Revolution at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park for the season home opener.
Some other notable dates and tidbits:
- On May 5th, Sporting will play expansion side the Montreal Impact for the first time at the friendly confines of LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. Kansas City will then play the Impact two more times (July 4, September 22) at Saputo Stadium in Montreal.
- Kansas City will get their chance for a tiny bit of revenge on July 7th, when they play host to the Houston Dynamo, who defeated Sporting 2-0 in the Eastern Conference Final of last season's playoffs.
- Sporting will face off against the defending MLS Cup Champions, the LA Galaxy, at LIVESTRONG on April 7.
- ESPN will air 21 MLS regular season matches in 2012, including the aforementioned April 7th match against LA, and an August 26th match against the New York Red Bulls. NBC will air 41 regular season matches, including the following Sporting KC matches: May 27 against San Jose, June 29 against Chicago, September 14 against Houston, and September 28 against Chicago.
- LIVESTRONG Sporting Park will host 7 nationally televised games in 2012 (H/T Charles Gooch at The Full 90).
- Spanish Network Galavision will feature 27 MLS regular season matches, including Sporting KC's March 25th match against FC Dallas.
- July 18 will mark Kansas City's first opportunity to play at the Houston Dynamo's new stadium, BBVA Compass Stadium.
- Sporting KC will close out the season with 20 straight matches against Eastern Conference opponents (H/T Mike Kuhn at Down the Byline)
- The MLS Cup will be December 1, and will be hosted by one of the two MLS Cup finalists.
3/10/12- at DC United, RFK Stadium
3/17/12- New England Revolution, LSP
3/25/12- FC Dallas, LSP
4/01/12- at Chivas USA, Home Depot Center
4/07/12- LA Galaxy, LSP
4/14/12- Real Salt Lake, LSP
4/18/12- at Vancouver, BC Place
4/12/12- at Portland, JELD-WEN Field
5/05/12- Montreal, LSP
5/12/12- at Chicago, Toyota Park
5/19/12- at Colorado, Dick's Sporting Goods Park
5/27/12- San Jose, LSP
6/16/12- Toronto, LSP
6/20/12- at Seattle, CenturyLink Field
6/23/12- at Philadelphia, PPL Park
6/29/12- Chicago, LSP
7/04/12- at Montreal, Saputo Stadium
7/07/12- Houston, LSP
7/14/12- at Columbus, Crew Stadium
7/18/12- at Houston, BBVA Compass Stadium
7/21/12- New England, LSP
7/28/12- Columbus, LSP
8/04/12- at New England, Gillette Stadium
8/11/12- DC United, LSP
8/18/12- Toronto, BMO Field
8/26/12- New York, LSP
9/01/12- Toronto, LSP
9/14/12- Houston, LSP
9/19/12- New York, Red Bull Arena
9/22/12- Montreal, Saputo Stadium
9/28/12- Chicago, LSP
10/07/12- Columbus, Crew Stadium
10/20/12- New York, Red Bull Arena
10/24/12- Philadelphia, LSP
So, what are your thoughts on the 2012 Schedule? How do you feel about the unbalanced schedule?