clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Kamara's brace enough for Sporting to outlast Crew 3-2

Sporting KC survived the second-half offensive onslaught as they outscored the Columbus Crew 3-2 to win their first match since May 12th.


A second-half flurry of four goals from both squads made for an interesting final minutes. However it was Sporting who laughed last as they pulled ahead of Columbus in the 80th minute to win 3-2.

Sporting would look good, controlling possession and pressuring the midfield throughout the first half. It would take until the 34th minute before they grabbed a lead. A lovely ball from Soony Saad on the wing found a streaking Kei Kamara who settled the ball in the box and finished it far post to put Sporting KC ahead 1-0. Saad, who had been playing well all match in his first start of the season, earned his second assist of the season while Kei Kamara put in his third goal.

Sporting would carry that 1-0 lead into halftime.

The second half would start out in a flurry of offense. Columbus would strike back quickly in the second half. A Crew counterattack allowed Jairo Arrieta to take the ball the entire attacking half, outrunning the Sporting defense in the process. He then pushed it past Jimmy Nielsen to equalize the score at 1-1 in his

Sporting, however, would not let that stand for long. A give and go from Bieler to Kamara and back to Bieler at the top of the box as he finished it to give Sporting KC the lead once more. It was Bieler's eighth goal of the season.

Then, however, it was a bad defensive miscue by Sporting KC to allow Columbus to equalize. A poor pass from Seth Sinovic back to Jimmy Nielsen was stolen by Dominic Oduro, where he moved out of the way of Nielsen to score the equalizer. This goal was in the 53rd minute, not five minutes after Sporting had just regained the lead.

Then it was Columbus' turn for a defensive lapse. A bad clearance left the ball at the feet of an open Kei Kamara in the box who waited for his shot and finished it to complete the brace and to put Sporting KC up 3-2 in the 80th minute. This would be Kamara's fourth goal of the year.

Dom Dwyer would then come in for Sporting KC in his first match since being loaned out to Orlando, replacing Claudio Bieler in the 81st minute. Dwyer would make a quick impact, winning the ball on the flank in the 84th minute and driving down the offensive half, resulting in a near score for Sporting. A deflection would give Soony Saad a chance at a score but a brilliant save from the recovering Andy Gruenebaum would keep Columbus within one goal.

Sporting would hold on for the last ten minutes to earn their first victory in over a month with a final score of 3-2. With the win they moved into a tie for second place in the East and will resume action Wednesday in a home match against the Vancouver Whitecaps.