clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

New York Red Bulls use counterattacks to beat Sporting Kansas City 3-2.

Three horrendous goals given up by Sporting Kansas City off of counterattacks doomed the home side in a 3-2 loss to New York.

John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

Sporting KC dominated the game statistically. However New York dominated the game where it matters as they used three counter-attack goals to beat Sporting KC 3-2.

Although Sporting put some major pressure on New York's back line early, the Red Bulls would be the first ones to score. A defensive breakdown on the right side allowed Dax McCarty to send a through ball to Jonathan Steele, who brought the ball inside the box and beat Jimmy Nielsen near post to complete the score. The Red Bulls would take 1-0 lead in the 27th minute.

Sporting KC would answer just before the half. A Chance Myers cross found the head of Soony Saad, but his header went off the body of Luis Robles. However Kei Kamara was there in front of the goal to tap the rebound in and score the equalizer for Sporting KC. This would make the halftime score 1-1 between the two top of the table teams.

In the 63rd minute, New York took the lead once again. Lloyd Sam got the ball at the top of the box and passed a nice through ball to Espindola, who went and beat Jimmy Nielsen far post to give the Red Bulls the 2-1 lead. It was Espindola's seventh goal of the season, and a big one at that.

New York would add to their lead in the 69th minute. Another defensive lapse by Sporting KC gave Lloyd Sam the ball with only one man to beat in the box. He beat him and snuck the ball past Jimmy Nielsen to give the Red Bulls a two goal cushion with twenty minutes to play.

A nice moment would come in stoppage time. A cross sent in by Kei Kamara found the head of Dom Dwyer and was powered past Robles into the net for his first career MLS goal. The goal pulled one back for Sporting KC with three minutes left to play in stoppage time.

A scary moment came in the 93rd minute. A rough challenge by Seth Sinovic on Kosuke Kimura left the latter injured in the middle of the pitch and he would have to be stretchered off as stoppage time wore on. This would add a few minutes to the final whistle. It would later be learned that Kimura would leave the park in an ambulance.

The Dwyer goal wouldn't be enough as Sporting would not be able to equalize after the injury break. New York would walk out of Sporting Park with a dominant 3-2 win as they climbed to the top of the Eastern Conference.

New York jumped to the top of the Eastern Conference and now have a two-point lead over Sporting KC and a three point lead over Montreal. As of 9:37 pm central, New York would remain in second place in the Supporters Shield race, two points down from Real Salt Lake.

Sporting will head to Nicaragua on Wednesday for their first CONCACAF Champions League match with Real Esteli FC. They return to league play on Saturday when they host the New England Revolution.