The NWSL expansion draft is over and FC Kansas City only lost Lauren Sesselmann to Houston. The Dash selected her in the third round despite reports that she was potentially signing with a club overseas.
It also came as a surprise when the Blues then protected Sarah Hagen. It is not confirmed if the Blues have signed her or just retain her rights as a discovery player. Hagen has been playing for FC Bayern Munich and had 38 goals in 51 games. FC Kansas City's Erika Tymrak played with Hagen while on loan to Bayern Munich.
- Brittany Bock (SBFC) - Kendall Johnson protected
- Tiffany McCarty (WAS) - Lori Lindsey protected
- Lauren Sesselmann (FCKC / CAN) - Sarah Hagen protected
- Meleana Shim (POR) - Unnamed discovery player protected
- Ella Masar (CRS) - Alyssa Mautz protected
- Meghan Klingenberg (BOS / USA) - No other Breakers could be selected
- Arianna Romero (SRFC / MEX) - Kate Deines protected
- Becky Edwards (POR) - No other Thorns could be selected
- Danesha Adams (SBFC) - No other Sky Blue FC could be selected
- Kika Toulouse (WAS)
The status of Sesselmann has been the subject of much debate the last few days. Sesselmann and Desiree Scott's agent has maintained that they are both free agents after the league failed to extend their contract correctly. Sources close to Sesselmann indicate that she has had multiple offers from around the world including four in the UK, a German team and a couple in France as well.
So it would seem that Sesselmann has not ruled out playing in the NWSL but they are approaching it as a free agent.
Next will be the maneuvers and trades as fallout from the Expansion Draft leading up to the NWSL College Draft next Friday.