After some growing concern that Sporting Kansas and Chance Myers were lingering on a deal, Myers' agent gave Kansas City a huge sigh of relief.
MLSSoccer.com's Andrew Wiebe confirmed it minutes later.
This is huge news for Sporting Kansas City's 2014 campaign. It keeps the 2013 MLS Cup Champion back line together, and helps build the consistency that got the team there in 2013. Myers will now join up with Sporting Kansas City in their preseason training in Tucson and will be with them for the remainder of the year. Terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed but he will be in Kansas City for the next year at least.
Now all that is left is for the two parties to put pen to paper, as brought to us by KC Star reporter Sam McDowell.
#SportingKC says Chance Myers has not yet signed a contract, but a source confirms to me that an agreement has been reached in principle.— Sam McDowell (@SamMcDowell11) January 29, 2014
This gives Sporting KC a good starter for 2014 and a capable backup in Mechack Jerome. There were some worries that Myers was not going to agree to terms and that Jerome would have to have to step up but those worries are calmed now.
Maybe it was this video, created by the Distributor's Mackenzie Manning, that got Myers to agree. Thanks Mackenzie.
- Sporting Kansas City defeats FC Tucson 1-0: Semi-Recap and Storylines
- Sporting Kansas City turns down $1 Million offer from Juventus for Erik Palmer-Brown
- 2014 MLS SuperDraft Round 3 and 4: Sporting KC selects Peter Schmetz, Alex Martinez and Reinaldo Brenes
- FC Kansas City selects six in NWSL draft
- So You Want to Play in MLS?