clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Turnabout: Sporting KC wins in stoppage time 3-2

Despite Colorado scoring on two penalties, Sporting KC responds quickly and then Dwyer steals the three points with a blast over the keeper

SKC forward Dom Dwyer scored the game winning goal
SKC forward Dom Dwyer scored the game winning goal
Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

In a reversal of early season fortunes, Sporting KC comes from behind to steal all three points in stoppage time. A 92' minute goal by Dom Dwyer on top of scores by Graham Zusi and Benny Feilhaber overcame the two penalties scored by Colorado's Vicente Sanchez to take the win.

The first half was not good for the visitors, Sporting KC came out lackluster. "I don't think it was the greatest of performances by us to be frank," Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes stated after the match. "I thought we were slow and sluggish in some respects, especially with movement of the ball and our movement off the ball."

While Sporting was not having their best half, Colorado failed to take advantage and when Sporting KC came out in the second half, it was a different story.

Paulo Nagamura intercepted a ball at midfield and laid a pass out for Sal Zizzo on the right wing. I appeared the Colorado defender had the positioning on ball but Zizzo put on a burst of speed, slid around him and picked his pocket.

Zizzo then made history when he laid a practice session pass across the box just out of reach of the keeper but in time for Zusi to tap it in at the back post. This was the first MLS goal to be scored and assisted by players that last name starts with Z.

Colorado tied it up on a penalty kick in the 60th minute. Eric Kronberg blocked a shot but as it spilled to the side Ike Opara attempted to clear while Jared Watts was also going for the ball and hit Oparta in the leg. As Opara fell it appeared he touched the ball on the ground and the referee did not hesitate in blowing the whistle and pointing to the spot. Kronberg got a hand on Vicente Sanchez's penalty shot but was unable to stop it.

The Rapids jumped out to a lead when they were awarded yet another penalty after Benny Feilhaber took down Nick LaBrocca on the side of the box. Sanchez easily scored again.

The response by Sporting KC was quick and impressive. Zusi to Zizzo to Feilhaber who had to scramble and take two shots at it but did not give up until the ball was in the net to level the score .

Marvell Wynne received his second yellow and the subsequent red for a tackle on Zusi in the 85th minute to put the home side down a man. The Rapids brought on Marlon Hairston in place of Sanchez to attempt to shore up the defense for the remainder f the game.

The drama did not end there though. Dwyer had subbed on in the 83' minute and quickly started pressuring the Colorado defense but it wasn't until the 92' minute that it all paid off. Feilhaber intercepted a Colorado clearance and shoveled it forward to Zusi who quickly relayed it to Dwyer on the corner of the box. A couple touches and Dwyer blasted it over the top of John Berner to make the final 3-2.