clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Four Score! Sporting Kansas City routs Montreal Impact 4-0

A Dom Dwyer brace and a dominant second half performance gives Sporting KC a 4-0 win over the Impact.


An Impact first half own goal opened the scoring and three second half goals, one by Aurelien Collin and two by Dom Dwyer, shut the door as Sporting Kansas City defeated the Montreal Impact 4-0.

Sporting Kansas City moved into a tie with Columbus for first in the Eastern Conference with the win, while Montreal maintained their place in tenth in the conference.

Montreal almost went on the board first in the 14th minute when the Impact caught Sporting Kansas City too far forward. Felipe and Marco Di Vaio created a two-pronged attack against Eric Kronberg. Felipe passed the ball to Di Vaio but Aurelien Collin was there to knock his shot off the line and to keep the score level.

Sporting KC was kept down offensively for the start of the game, not registering a shot until the 26th minute. That shot would come on a sublime through ball from Benny Feilhaber to Sal Zizzo into the box, but Zizzo's shot was blocked by Impact keeper Troy Perkins as he came up to knock Zizzo off his shot.

It wouldn't take long after that first shot for Sporting to get their first score. Matt Besler's thrown in was headed into the net in a disputed fashion -- either Aurelien Collin or Lawrence Olum getting the score -- but the goal was granted to Collin originally. It would later be corrected to an own goal by the Impact. Sporting KC went up front 1-0 in the first half after that and continued to press the Impact defense.

Justin Mapp would be the first booking of the night after he went hard on a tackle on Matt Besler in the 38th minute. It was his first yellow of the year and it set up a free kick for Sporting KC that did not result in anything substantial.

Play would be neutral for the last few minutes of the half with neither team able to push forward enough to create a chance, making the halftime score 1-0 in favor of Sporting Kansas City.

Sporting Kansas City controlled possession in the second half but were not able to grab anything substatial in terms of an attack until the 67th minute when a through ball was sent into the middle of the box for Dom Dwyer. Troy Perkins, however, blocked the shot with his face and then was up to catch Zusi's shot on the rebound. He went down for a couple minutes but was soon back up on his feet and play resumed.

It would only be a few minutes later before Sporting KC struck again. After the ball pinged around the box after a throw in, Lawrence Olum knocked the ball loose and left it for Aurelien Collin at the top of the box, where he slotted in it far post to give Sporting Kansas City a 2-0 lead.

Less than two minutes later, Jacob Peterson -- who came on as a sub just minutes earlier -- sent an extremely accurate cross into the box where Dom Dwyer was there to hammer it home after a wonderful dummy from Aurelien Collin. It was his third goal of the year and the rout was officially on for Sporting KC.

Dwyer wasn't finished with that goal, as Sporting Kansas City continued to pour on the offense. Graham Zusi sent in an uncontested cross into the box, where Dwyer masterfully headed the ball past Perkins and into the goal to complete the brace. Sporting increased their lead to 4-0 with the 86th minute goal.

Sporting KC will travel to New England next Saturday to take on the Revs.