clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bell Rung: Sporting KC fall 2-1 to Philadelphia at home

Two second half goals sandwiched Dom Dwyer's golaza as the Philadelphia Union knocked off Sporting Kansas City 2-1.

Jamie Squire

After a lackluster first half, the Philadelphia Union were able to push through for two goals as they defeated Sporting Kansas City 2-1.

Danny Cruz and Cristian Maidana were each goal scorers for the Union while Dom Dwyer picked up the lone goal for Sporting KC.

While there weren't many opportunities in the first half, there were a couple that made fans on both sides sweat. In the 29th minute, Vincent Nogueira took a shot from the top of the box that was contested by the Sporting KC back line, which allowed Eric Kronberg to be there to making a dive stop on the shot. In the 33rd minute, Graham Zusi found open space on the side and sent in a beautiful cross to Sal Zizzo, who's snap-down header was saved by a quick foot from Zac MacMath, keeping the score level.

Sporting Kansas City would get another chance as the half died out as Zusi had the ball at the top of the box and decided to give up a shot in favor of passing it to Zizzo in the box, who's close range shot was blocked by MacMath and sent out of play. That would be the last opportunity of the half as the teams went into the break scoreless.

It wouldn't be too far into the second half when the Union broke through. Maidana drove the ball down the sideline and into the box, trying a near-post shot. Kronberg would block the shot, but the rebound would be put in by Danny Cruz for the Union lead. It was Cruz's first of the year.

The 59th minute would bring about another opportunity for the Union when Andrew Wenger caught the Sporting KC back line off guard on the counter and drove into the box for a one-on-one. Kronberg came off his line to block the shot after Wenger held onto the ball too long.

In the 61st minute, Aurelien Collin picked up a knock inside Sporting KC's box and went down momentarily. He would be immediately subbed off with no current news as to the extent of his injury.

Dom Dwyer would come on for Claudio Bieler in the 71st minute and it wouldn't be long before he made an impact. In the 80th minute, he picked up a ball near the top of the box and fired it in top corner for the golazo. Nagamura picked up the assist on the play and Sporting Kansas City was tied 1-1.

About a minute later, the Union would strike back when Maidana picked up a rebound inside the box and fired it home for the second Union goal of the match. Maidana's first of the season would put the Union back in the lead 2-1.

Sporting Kansas City would try to push forward but were not able to have much success the last ten minutes of the match. In the 89th minute, Corben Bone would come into the match for a time-wasting substitution but would not last long. He came in late with his studs up on a tackle on Jacob Peterson in the middle of the field and was shown the straight red card. He lasted less than a minute and the Union would be down to ten men.

Sporting KC, however, was not able to take advantage of the man advantage with the five minutes of stoppage as they fell 2-1 to the Union. They will be back in action Sunday afternoon as they take on the Chicago Fire in Chicago. This was the last match for Graham Zusi and Matt Besler before they head to the World Cup, leaving Sporting KC with a month or so without two of their stars.