clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

At least it didn't matter: Manchester City 4-1 Sporting KC

CJ Sapong put in the lone goal for Sporting KC as they fell to the English champions 4-1.

John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

While providing some entertaining soccer, Sporting KC was overwhelmed by EPL side Manchester City as they fell 4-1 in the friendly.

Manchester City got off to a fast start, scoring in the third minute. Bruno Zuculini took the ball at the top of the box and fired a beauty off the side of the post and in for the early lead.

On the very next possession, Sporting KC almost pulled level when CJ Sapong got inside the box and went for a chip over the keeper but it hit the crossbar. Manchester City were able to clear the ball after it came down, maintaining their lead.

Sporting KC came close a couple of minutes later when Benny Feilhaber sent in a free kick that was headed towards goal by Dom Dwyer. The shot was saved, but Dwyer put in the rebound for the apparent goal. However, the line judge had his flag up and the goal did not stand.

The home side finally tied the match in the 30th minute when he got behind the defense and settled a cross from Benny Feilhaber. Once he knocked the ball down, he was able to put it past the keeper quite easily, leveling the match.

Sporting KC was able to settle down on defense and make some truly spectacular plays to keep the game even. In the 38th minute, Jovetic was able to get far behind the defense on a long ball and hesitated trying to get the ball past Gruenebaum, which allowed Aurelien Collin to sneak behind him and make the goal-saving tackle.

Manchester City would regain the lead in the 45th minute when Jesus Navas curled a free kick into the box that was powerfully headed in by Dedryck Boyata. Although Sporting KC got a free kick right afterwards, they couldn't convert and they went into the half down 2-1.

Sporting KC completely switched up their team coming out to start the second half. Jorge Claros, Michael Kafari and Martin Stueble made their Sporting KC debuts while Jon Kempin got his first minutes this year.

Manchester City was able to repel the Sporting KC attack long enough to earn a penalty in the 72nd minute after Michael Kafari made a late tackle on Scott Sinclair in the box. Kolarov was able to convert the penalty and the visitors went up 3-1.

As if it were not already locked up, Manchester City completely shut the door in the 87th minute. A great passing sequence led to Iheanacho putting the ball in from the top of the box for City's fourth goal of the evening. That score would carry on to the final whistle as Manchester City were the victors, 4-1.

Sporting KC returns to action Saturday night with a league match in Toronto.