clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Boots off the Ground: Sporting Kansas City 4-1 Toronto FC

Dwyer provided two goals as Sporting KC routed Toronto FC 4-1.

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

Dom Dwyer's first half brace was the starting point to a 4-1 win for Sporting Kansas City over Toronto FC.

CJ Sapong and Soony Saad provided the other goals, both coming in the second half.

Sporting took the early lead in the 17th minute after Benny Feilhaber was taken down in the box, earning a penalty on a bit of a dubious decision. Dom Dwyer would convert the penalty with a rocket into the top of the goal to earn his 15th goal of the year. The penalty conversion put Sporting KC up 1-0.

Sporting then doubled their lead on a more obvious penalty call. Doneil Henry took Dom Dwyer out with a hard challenge in the box. Dwyer converted the penalty with a low shot to the right to put Sporting KC up 2-0. This goal moved him into second place in the single-season goal record books, topping Eddie Johnson's tally of 15 in 2007.

Toronto pulled one back just before the end of the half. Dominic Oduro sent a through ball into the box where Gilberto nicked the ball past Kempin on a nice back heel to make the score 2-1. That score would take the teams into the locker room.

The Reds almost equalized in the 51st minute when an Igor Juliao mistake allowed Gilberto to have a 1-on-1 breakaway down the middle of the field. Jon Kempin, making his first MLS start, came up big with the save to preserve the Sporting KC lead.

Soony Saad would provide an insurance goal for Sporting KC in the 64th minute when he blasted a shot home from 20 yards out following a semi-cleared corner kick. It was his second of the year as Sporting KC took a 3-1 lead.

Toronto came close to pulling one back in the 71st minute when they had an advantage called, allowing them to get an open look on goal against Kempin. Gilberto made Kempin miss but Aurelien Collin came in from behind and knocked the ball out of bounds to keep Sporting KC up by two goals.

Sporting KC put the nail in the coffin in the 77th minute when a low-driven corner kick was put in by CJ Sapong at the back post. It was Sapong's second goal of the year and it put Sporting KC up 4-1.

That score would keep for the rest of the match, save for a flying shoe from Bright Dike that flew into the goal, giving Sporting KC a huge 4-1 home win over the Reds. This win pushed Sporting KC to the top of the Supporters Shield standings, tying them with Real Salt Lake on 42 points.

Sporting has another big match next Saturday as they take on DC United at Sporting Park.