The NWSL expansion draft for the Orlando Pride joining the league has wrapped up and somehow, FC Kansas City did not have any players taken. Here are the Tom Sermanni's picks for the Orlando Pride:
1. Meghan Klingenberg (Seattle Reign) sent to Portland to complete Alex Morgan deal
2. Ashlyn Harris (Washington Spirit)
3. Taryn Hemmings (Chicago Red Stars)
4. Jasmyne Spencer (WNY Flash)
5. Jamia Fields (WNY Flash)
6. Camille Levin (Sky Blue FC)
7. Lianne Sanderson (Portland Thorns FC)
8. Toni Pressley (Houston Dash)
9. Maddy Evans (Boston Breakers)
10. Aubrey Bledsoe (Sky Blue FC)
The Pride already had picked up Alex Morgan, Kaylyn Kyle and Sarah Haagen. Meghan Klingenberg was sent to Portland to complete the Alex Morgan trade.
There were a number of great players on two time defending champion FC Kansas City's unprotected list but a number of them are retiring or seriously thinking about it. Leigh Ann Brown (nee Robinson) just announced her retirement recently.
Understandably, FC Kansas City is happy that no players were taken. Statement from head coach Vlatko Andonovski via twitter:
"We're extremely happy that we can keep the team the way it is and shift our focus on the #NWSLCollegeDraft." Coach Vlatko Andonovski.— FC Kansas City (@FCKansasCity) November 2, 2015
The trade of Sarah Hagen last week was to protect Heather O'Reilly from being taken in the expansion draft. Could it have been to take no players at all?
FC Kansas City
Amy Rodriguez (USA)
Becky Sauerbrunn (USA)
Leigh Ann Brown
Heather O'Reilly (USA)