Last week, FC Kansas City signed the first player from their 2015 draft class. Talented attacker Shea Groom was their first draft pick (12th overall) in 2015 and their first signing.
According to a source close to the team, the Blues are working on at least two more signings. FC Kansas City's third pick (17th overall) Katelyn Rowland recently joined the team in preseason after finishing up some work at UCLA. The team quickly decided to make her an offer.
The next probable signing comes as a surprise only if you have not seen her play in training camp. Missouri Tiger midfielder Dominique Richardson has been playing very well as a defender. Domi was with the Houston Dash for a while last season and was non-roster invitee to FC Kansas City camp.
Both of these are in progress and could be announced at any time.
Photos from practice last week
Notes and random observations from the first three weeks of camp:
- Non-roster invitee McKenzie Sauerwein, the keeper from Missouri is reported to be in Iceland now.
- Second round pick Meghan Lisenby had left camp and was reported to be trialing with Houston last week.
- The first couple weeks Erika Tymrak seemed to be channeling Lauren Holiday and playing very similar style in the middle.
- Two-a-days are wearing a lot of players down.
- Frances Silva looks very determined to make a case for serious playing time. She has been dangerous in every practice.
- You can see why Shea Groom was taken by FC Kansas City and it only had a little to do with being the local kid. When she is on, she is a scoring machine. Seems a little timid at times but give her a shot and keepers will need to be worried.
- Speaking of Tymrak, Sylva and Groom, the first week they were all on the same scrimmage team and they carved up the opponents.
- Becca Moros looks like she is having a great deal of fun and will be going forward. A LOT!
- Amy LePeilbet will be heavily counted on this year and looks up to the challenge. She has looked like the best player on the field most of the time.
- Yael Averbuch and Moros seem to quickly have a great rapport, they have teamed up on several 3v3 and 2v2 competitions and partner very well.