clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sporting Kansas City defeats Philadelphia Union 3-2 in stoppage time.

Two stoppage times goal lift SKC over the Philadelphia Union

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

For the majority of the game it looked like SKC was going to let another game at home, against the Union, slip passed them. But two stoppage time goals would lift the home team over the visitors for all three points.

Philadelphia wasted no time getting on the board. They controlled play to open the game and won a corner in the third minute. After a redirected header across the face of goal, the ball snuck across the line despite a desperate goal line clearance. Jacob Peterson, who struggled the whole first half, was given the own goal. The goal was the fastest ever conceded by SKC at Sporting Park.

Sporting settled in and were able to keep possession after conceding. Benny Feilhaber sent in a dangerous corner kick in the 16th minute that found the head of Dom Dwyer on the far post. Dom headed it at the ground and passed M'bohli for his first goal of the season.

The celebration did not last long as the Union won a set piece minutes later. Aristeguieta had a phenomenal header into the upper 90' for the go ahead goal in the 19th.

Both teams had several more opportunities in the first half but SKC went into the break down 2-1 at half despite winning 69 percent possession.

The second half was not short of chances either.

Dwyer hit the side netting in the 48th minute that sent much of the stadium into a frenzy. Then in the 59th minute he headed another corner kick into the back of the net, but was called for a foul. Peter Vermes, despite the win, was still clearly upset at the call in the post game press conference.

As the end of the game approached, it seemed as though SKC were going to drop points at home once more, but the fans were optimistic at the announcement of six minutes of stoppage time.

Newcomer Jalil Anibaba was able to get a head on the ball in the box and sneak it across the line to equalize in the 91st minute. With the stadium still rocking, KC won a corner kick in the 94th minute. After flick from Besler at the near post, Krisztian Nemeth was able to get a touch (we think) to send it into the back of the net. Whether Nemeth touched it or not, he ran to the corner celebrating along with the rest of SKC Nation.

Sporting KC picked up their second win of the season after a disappointing start. The boys will look to keep Sporting Park a dangerous place next week as RSL come to town.