clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Still Winless: FC Kansas City draws Chicago Red Stars 0-0

FC Kansas City are still searching for their first win of the NWSL season after a 0-0 draw with the Chicago Red Stars on Friday night at Swope Soccer Village.

FCKC was sporting their pink alternates tonight
FCKC was sporting their pink alternates tonight
Thad Bell

FC Kansas City has still yet to pick up their first win on the season after a scoreless draw with the Chicago Red Stars. There was no shortage of opportunities for either team. Christen Press and Shea Groom looked fit to score multiple goals for their teams, but the breakthrough would never come.

When the matched reach the 70 minute mark, the home side turned things up a notch. Over the next 10 minutes or so, KC was absolutely relentless on the attack. They just simply couldn't find the breakthrough. Groom continued to be dangerous, Silva almost broke the crossbar, and the Red Stars keeper was forced into a several great saves.

The referee had a big decision to make in the 79' minute when Shea Groom was taken down in the box while on a breakaway. He was in a good position, but inexplicably no call was made.

Shea Groom looked in the mood from the start and was able to get herself into some dangerous positions. In the 18' minute she sent in a cross that skipped in front of goal, but it was just out of the reach of Frances Silva. A few minutes later, she created some space for herself on the ball and fired a shot at the far post. The Chicago keeper Naeher was beaten, but the ball bounced just outside the post.

The reigning NWSL Player of the Week, Christen Press, was hungry for her fourth goal in matches. In the 28' minute she intercepted a pass out of the back from The Blues and immediately charged forward. She kept the ball to get around multiple defenders and unleashed a long range shot, but Barnhart was up to the challenge.

There was a bit of a scary moment as the half was winding down. Groom was in the center circle to receive a pass and she quickly took off to let the ball run onto her, but defender Samantha Johnson was crashing in. The two players had a nasty collision that left Groom in a heap on the grass. She took a very long time to gather herself, but remained in the game.

When the second half started, the match really began to open up. The Red Stars came within inches of scoring several times in just the first few minutes of the half. But as they came closer to scoring, they left themselves open for attack. In the 63' Groom got the ball about 40 yards out. Chicago refused to close her down so she touched it a couple times to set herself up, but her shot screamed just over the crossbar.

The chances continued for both sides until the final whistle, but the match would end in a 0-0 draw. The Blues are still searching for their first win and now move to a lowly 0-3-1 on the season. Next up for KC is a trip to Boston to face the Breakers on Sunday, May 22.