So. Much. News. Who can keep up? We try to fill in all the gaps you may have missed for Sporting Kansas City and really the world of soccer.
- New Power Rankings are out. After that thriller in Chicago, SKC climb back up to 11th place. New York City FC are first (if that makes that season opening loss sting less) and LAFC are the biggest climbers up to 5th already.
- Speaking of the Chicago win, there are a couple videos you should watch. First Sporting KC takes you Behind the Shield and them MLS gave us a nearly 10 minute condensed version of the game since it’s the Game of the Week.
- Swope Park Rangers win big to close out the preseason. The big story though was that Diego Rubio was loaned to SPR instead of travelling to Chicago with the team. Even though the team scored six (!) goals Rubio didn’t score any of them. I imagine Vermes is trying to get his confidence back and give him minutes. Gianluca Busio, Kharlton Belmar, Amer Didic, Colton Storm and Graham Smith also were on loan. SPR start their season in Reno on Saturday.
- Matt Besler was on Sports Radio 810 WHB to talk about the big win.
- Johnny Russell joins Nate Bukaty and Carter Augustine on the Sporting KC Show.
- Another slick video from SKC shows Daniel Salloi in the Bud Light Spotlight. It’s worth a watch if only to see a very young Daniel in photos with Cristiano Ronaldo and Andrea Pirlo (who he later played against). Wild stuff.
- Lots of cool stats from the guys over at SportingKC.com. First every come from behind road win after the 80th minute. First road win allowing three goals since 2007. And on a sad note, it ended a 37 game streak of not allowing more than two goals.
- The SPR Twitter account sent out a teaser of their new kit for 2018. I just hope it’s not plain white.
Around the World
- Toronto FC and New York Red Bulls both advanced in CONCACAF Champions League against Liga MX teams. If Seattle Sounders advance, then three MLS teams will be among the final four teams.
- MLS Transfer rumors. Giovinco rumored to Liga MX, Benfica want US youth international Chris Durkin and Robben to MLS?
- Former NWSL goalkeeper, Steph Labbe, will play for a men’s team in the PDL.
- Christen Press will stay in the NWSL but not on the Houston Dash. The Utah Royals (basically last years FC Kansas City team) apparently had a trade in place earlier in the offseason but it fell apart because it took too long.
- The United battle between Atlanta United and D.C. United apparently did better than the Premier League in terms of ratings.