The further we get from Sunday, the sooner we can forget about that abomination.
- Jose Carlos Rivero is the ref on Saturday against the Chicago Fire. SKC are 4-3 with him in the center circle (h/t Mike Kuhn). It’s not Throwback Thursday, but Way Back Wednesday? In 2012 Vermes got fined for comments about Rivero about Roger Espinoza picked up a red card.
- While we are talking about Rivero and the past, he’s the same ref who was suspended by PRO for claiming unemployment (while employed) and committing insurance fraud.
- Matt Besler was on Sports Radio 810 WHB talking NYCFC and the Fire.
- Daniel Salloi joined the Sporting KC Show on that same station last night. And El Hefe returned.
- Feeling down about Sunday. Sporting Kansas City’s PR team is here to cheer you up:
Quirky stats for people who like quirky stats: the last eight @MLS Cup champions have failed to win their home opener that season (0-3-5).— Sam Kovzan (@skovzan) March 6, 2018
AND... the last five have been shut out in their home opener.
There is hope yet for @torontofc, @SoundersFC and @SportingKC.
- The Cauldron are doing a Roaddron to Chicago. You should go with them.
- Did you know you can have a party at Children’s Mercy Park or Pinnacle? I didn’t! Just missed birthday number 35 but I know what I’m asking for next year.
- Before you freak out about Sunday’s loss (too late right?) keep in mind many of the last few MLS Cup Champions have started very slow.
- A really cool chart is available showing TAM/GAM trade totals (Sporting KC have the second most in the last year plus.
- ICYMI: We have Peter Vermes and Johnny Russell post game video:
Former FC Kansas City Update
We’ve been pretty quiet when it comes to FC Kansas City related news since the team folded and re-emerged as the Utah Royals (that name feels like a knife getting stuck in and twisted hard). Maybe it’s because we can hide the sadness if we don’t talk about it. Well, here are some things we’ve missed.
- First former FCKC girls Maegan Kelly, Lo’eau LaBonta, Alex Newfield, Sydney Miramontez and Brittany Ratcliffe signed up with the Royals.
- Then FCKC legend Nicole Barnhart signed on as well as Becca Moros, Katie Bowen, and Alex Arlitt.
- And then there is this. Better facilities than many men’s teams. It’s a real shame FC Kansas City couldn’t provide this for these very deserving women.
New digs, who dis? pic.twitter.com/8VkMgNkjei— Utah Royals FC (@UtahRoyalsFC) February 16, 2018
- Here is a look at the full Royals roster, including preseason non-rsoter invitees.
She Believes Cup Ends Tonight
If you haven’t caught the United States Women’s National Team in action yet, the She Believes Cup ends tonight with the game that will decide it all as the USWNT plays England. (How to Watch/Stream)