Another year means another edition of EA Sports FIFA series. FIFA 19 will be coming out in September 2018 on Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Details are scarce but that doesn’t stop people from getting excited about another edition. First, there is a trailer that as of this writing over 3.3 million people have watched in two days. Join them.
As you can tell from the trailer a few things are evident. EA Sports has secured the UEFA Champions League license (along with the EUFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup). So instead of generic trophies and tournaments in the game, there will be the actual events. EA Sports announced a new tournament mode where you can play through, of course it’ll be in the Career mode and they announced it will be the final chapter of the Journey.
Beyond that, we’ve learned that there are three editions which are available for pre-order already. That’s FIFA Ultimate Edition, Champions Edition and the Standard Edition. Here are the pre-order bonuses for the Ultimate Edition and they get lesser from there.
- 3 Days Early Access and up to 40 Jumbo Premium Gold FUT packs
- UEFA Champions League Gold Player Pick (Choose one of five 80 to 83 rated gold players from qualified teams)
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar Jr. loan players for seven FUT matches
- Special Edition FUT kits designed by FIFA soundtrack artists
Speaking of Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, they will be sharing the cover this year (except on the Standard Edition where Ronaldo is alone). As in previous years, you can also play the game early on Xbox One if you have EA Access and your progress will carry over to the came if (and when) you purchase it.
Another perk of the Champions League is that mode will include new commentary from Derek Rae and Lee Dixon.
A few other gameplay tweaks that the team over at Engadget picked up were:
- A new Active Touch System that enhances player controls
- 50/50 battles are also new this year
- Dynamic Tactics (the ability to set multiple gameplans, customized to your liking before the match)
- Timed Finishing (an optional function that allows more accuracy, curve and speed)
- A new one-button mode for new or inexperienced players
From the trailer, and this hasn’t been confirmed, but it looks like there may be more dynamic weather in the game. It’s something the Frostbite engine is capable of but it hasn’t really been put to use up to this point. That could lead to interesting things like players slipping and falling, the ball moving different on the surface or through the air because of wind or wetness.
Because I’m a bit FIFA lover, I’ll bring more information once it’s available. You’ll have to do what fellow TBT writer Eric Atcheson tipped me off to do and move Sporting Kansas City to Europe and try to play for that Champions League title. In prior years I’ve put them in the English Championship or League One but last year I started in the 3.Bundesliga. No word on if any new leagues are coming for 2019 or if there will be any MLS enhancements.