Tuesday’s MLS Expansion Draft between Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC went nine picks without Sporting Kansas City losing a player. Then Nasvhille’s 10th pick broke our hearts.
Jimmy Medranda was taken with the 10th and final pick in the draft and he’ll be on the way to Nashville soon. The Mike Jacobs/Sporting KC connection of course came through. Sporting KC will get a paltry $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) for Jimmy. I hate to say I told you so, but...
Below is the full rundown of the picks. Miami went first.
Inter Miami CF
- Ben Sweat - LB - New York City FC
- Alvas Powell - RB - FC Cincinnati
- Lee Nguyen - MID - Los Angeles Football Club
- Luis Argudo - MID - Columbus Crew SC
- Bryan Meredith - GK - Seattle Sounders
- Abu Danladi - FWD - Minnesota United
- Zarek Valentin - RB - Portland Timbers*
- Jalil Anibaba - CB - New England Revolution
- Brandon Vazquez - FWD - Atlanta United^
- Jimmy Medranda - LB/CM/LW - Sporting KC
*Nashville GM Mike Jacobs announced that they may be trading Zarek Valentin though nothing was announced immediately. Reports on Twitter is he’s going to the Houston Dynamo. Update: Jacobs confirmed Valentin is going to the Dynamo along with $75K in GAM in exchange for Goalkeeper Joe Willis.
^Jacobs indicated they are exploring a possible trade here as well. Nothing was announced live during the draft. Update: Jacobs confirmed immediately after the draft that Vazquez is going to FC Cincinnati in exchange for “allocation money.” $150K in 2020 TAM, $50K in 2021 GAM come back but those are based on performance incentives.
- Adrian Zendejas was traded immediately after the draft to Nashville.
- Daniel Lovitz, left back for Montreal Impact, was traded to Nashville immediately after the draft in exchange for $50K in GAM, $50K in TAM and a 2020 international roster spot.