The number of players unavailable for Sporting Kansas City is amazing.
Sporting KC can not even run normal practice sessions some days. “If want to run an 11v11 and I only have nine guys, that means I have to go get at a minimum 11 soccer players, from Swope Park or the Academy and that makes every one have to push their players up. Everyone is being affected,” Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes explained.
Swope Park Rangers is used to receiving 2-4 loans from the senior team but Sporting KC can only spare a keeper now. “So they have to take more Academy kids which puts them under stress as well,” Vermes stated. “Usually they are part of a support group for Swope Park, not THE group.”
“The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” - Robert Burns
That’s my quote,” Vermes told The Blue Testament. “You have to be prepared for everything and this is one of those times. I’ve never dealt with it but I am sure as hell getting good experience in dealing with it because each week someone else goes down and we maybe get someone back.”
The only tough part of it is there are like 5 guys that are out for a significant amount of time and that piece is probably carrying the biggest burden,” Vermes continued.
Lets start with the players that are just plain out. There is no doubt. No questions. They will not play this weekend.
1. Roger Espinoza (PCL Sprain)
2. Gerso Fernandes (Broken Wrist) Update: May (reiterate) MAY get to start running soon.
3. Andreu Fontas (Calf Injury)
4. Erik Hurtado (Knee Injury)
5. Jaylin Lindsey (Torn Meniscus)
6. Rodney Wallace (Hip Injury) Out for season.
7. Wan Kuzain (Ankle Injury) Update: Running at practice today.
8. Graham Zusi (Oblique) Update: Running at practice today.
1. Jimmy Medranda (Knee Injury) Update: In full training, should make bench soon.
2. Daniel Salloi (Groin Injury) Update: Expected to not be too serious
1. Gianluca Busio
2. Tyler Freeman
Status: Vermes will not try to push these guys coming back from the U17 CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament. Busio played almost every game and showed very well. Vermes does not want to put either of them in “harm’s way in this situation.”
1. Botond Barath
2. Matt Besler Update: Vermes undecided this morning if Besler would play or not.
3. Yohan Croizet
4. Benny Feilhaber
5. Felipe Gutierrez
6. Nicolas Hasler
7. Krisztian Nemeth
8. Kelyn Rowe
9. Johnny Russell
10. Ilie Sanchez
11. Seth Sinovic
12. Graham Smith
13. Gedion Zelalem
Extreme hardship signing:
1. Wilson Harris
Harris was just signed to a short-term contract as part of the “Extreme Hardship” rule. Harris is a graduate of the Sporting Kansas City Academy and is currently under contract to the Swope Park Rangers in the USL Championship.
Since the “Extreme Hardship” rule only applies when there are less than 14 field players available, that would lead us to expect both questionable players will be unavailable for Saturday.
1. Eric Dick
2. Tim Melia
3. Adrian Zendejas