If you are anything like me, it’s hard to keep up with all 24 teams in Major League Soccer. Sometimes it’s hard to keep up with just one team. With the secondary transfer window running from July 9th through August 7th, there are lots of moves that have already been made and rumors of many more on the horizon. Here are the teams in alphabetical order (except Sporting KC, who are first in our hearts).
For Sporting KC, we’ll include the stories from last time, but for the rest of the teams, we’ll just stick to new stuff in the last two weeks, which leaves a few teams with no news. If you are looking for prior news and rumors, a good place to start is the first edition of this story from two weeks ago.
Sporting Kansas City
- Report: Sporting KC sign left back Luis Martins.
- Rumor: Sporting KC Make $6 Million Failed Bid for Argentine Midfielder.
- Sporting KC talking to 30 players currently.
- Felipe Gutierrez linked to Cruz Azul.
- The compensation for defensive midfielder Mo Adams was announced as $100,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) to the Chicago Fire.
- Sporting KC Legend Josh Wolff is the first head coach of Austin FC.
- US International defender Jonathan Bornstein from Israeli Premier League club Maccabi Netanya has signed with the Chicago Fire. To make that move, they had to do a trade with the Crew for the first spot in the MLS Waiver Order in exchange for $50,000 in 2020 TAM.
- The compensation for defensive midfielder Mo Adams was announced as $100,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from Atlanta United.
- Salt Lake traded $75,000 in TAM to the Fire for $50,000 in GAM.
Columbus Crew SC
- Scottish midfielder/defender Chris Cadden will join the Columbus Crew in 2020 but will go on loan with Oxford United in England.
- The Crew traded the first spot in the MLS Waiver Order in exchange for $50,000 in 2020 TAM from the Fire.
- Several clubs across Liga MX and Europe are interested in acquiring US International Paul Arriola. Apparently the Mexico rumors are stronger.
- United have reported received an offer from Sevilla in Spain for midfielder Luciano Acosta. Earlier it was reported Manchester United was scouting Acosta.
- DCU and 30-year-old Hungarian international Zoltan Stieber have mutually agreed to part ways.
- The above move was made potentially to free an international roster spot to bring back Argentine midfielder Yamil Asad.
- If it’s not Asad, another rumor is that winger Mateo Garcia could join D.C. United. He is owned by Spanish second-division club UD Las Palmas but has spent lots of time on loans.
- D.C. United signed attacker Gordon Wild and released defender Akeem Ward.
- Dutchman Ron Jans will reportedly be the next head coach for Cincy.
- Once thought of as the replacement for Mauro Diaz, midfielder Pablo Aranguiz is being loaned to Chilean Primera Division club Union Española for the rest of 2019.
- Dallas want to keep Paxton Pomykal for 2-3 years amid rumors that bids have come in for him to go abroad.
- Miami made their first two signings in club history. They added two Argentinians, winger Matias Pelligrini and forward Julian Carranza.
- Miami are also in talks with “six or seven players.” Two of them were signed, but more could be coming.
- The LA Galaxy are reportedly close to adding winger Cristian Pavon for a bizarre set of compensations with Argentina giants Boca Juniors. The compensation: “local journalist Martin Arevalo claims the Galaxy have made the unorthodox offer of $18 million plus two friendlies in the United States in exchange for his rights.” That would make him a Designated Player which would mean former Sporting KC target Romain Alessandrini would be gone.
Los Angeles Football Club
- LAFC may add a new DP in Uruguayan attacker Brian Rodriguez for a $11.5 million transfer fee. Rodriguez is just 19.
- LAFC have acquired Eddie Segura on a multi-year deal. He was previously on loan from Atletico Huila (Columbian first division) before joining on a permanent basis.
- LAFC mutually agreed to part ways with Shaft Brewer Jr.
- MNUFC traded Eric Miller to New York City FC in exchange for $50,000 in GAM.
- Minnesota have signed French fullback Wilfried Moimbe from France’s Ligue 2 side AS Nancy.
- The previously reported deal with Finnish midfielder Robin Lod was made official with Minnesota.
- The Impact acquired winger Lassi Lappalainen on a TAM contract from their Italian sibling club Bologna. He’ll be on loan through the end of the year with the option to extend that loan through the 2020 season. Lappalainen debuted immediately and was the player of the week after a stellar performance.
- In a corresponding move the Impact mutually agreed to part ways with attacker Harry Novillo.
New England Revolution
New York City FC
- NYCFC traded $50,000 in GAM for defender Eric Miller from Minnesota United.
New York Red Bulls
- Aaron Long was on Benny Feilhaber and Sal Zizzo’s (and kind of Ike Opara’s) podcast, BS The Podcast and talked about his potential move to England. “I don’t know, man. I have no idea when I’m going, where I’m going, if I’m going at all,” said Long. “All I know is that offers have came in and got rejected right now by the Red Bulls... Obviously it’s a Prem team that made an offer and I’m sure the same is for you guys, what a dream it would be to play in that league … since I was young I’ve been watching them. It would be a dream, for sure.” He finished saying, “I think I would rather be abroad, taking my game to the next level.”
- The Union acquired goalkeeper Joe Bendik from the Columbus Crew for a 2020 second round draft pick.
- Philly also officially released Carlos Miguel Coronel from his loan back to Red Bull Salzburg.
- The Union signed a 2020 Homegrown contract with midfielder Cole Turner who is just 18-years-old.
- The Timbers made the loan move permanent for midfielder Tomas Conechny.
Real Salt Lake
- Salt Lake traded $75,000 in TAM to the Fire for $50,000 in GAM. Peak MLS.
- RSL sent three players from their USL Championship team, the Real Monarchs to FC Pinzgau Saalfelden in the Austrian third-division side. The players are Andrew Brody, Josh Heard and Ruiz.
San Jose Earthquakes
- The Sounders are rumored to be getting 22-year-old Argentinian midfielder Emanuel Cecchini. He currently plays for second-division Spanish side Malaga and the club will have an option to buy built into the loan.
- TFC are in talks to acquire Nicolas Benezet, a 28-year-old French winger who currently plays for Ligue 2 side Guingamp.
- Former United States international Terrance Boyd and Toronto have mutually agreed to part ways.