Sporting Kansas City nearly gave us all heart attacks on Sunday night but they managed to pull off a penalty kick win against the San Jose Earthquakes. Their reward? A home game against Minnesota United who put it on the Colorado Rapids to the tune of 3-0 up in
Southern Canada Minnesota.
As of this publishing the FC Dallas versus Portland Timbers game is headed into extra time due to a stoppage time goal from Ricardo Pepi. Seattle Sounders and LAFC stunningly don’t play for two more days which is really tough for them when it comes to equal rest.
Tweets You May Have Missed
- Before we fully move on, let’s re-watched the magic that was that penalty kick shootout.
- Tim Melia’s PK shootout is the shortest in MLS history. Six kicks beats the previous record of seven.
Few stats via #SportingKC:— Harold R. Kuntz (@HaroldRKuntz3) November 23, 2020
Shortest penalty shootout in MLS History (6)
Gianluca Busio is 3rd youngest player to score in an MLS Playoff.
- Another remarkable stat. Only one other time has an MLS team failed to score a single penalty kick during a penalty kick shootout. The other time was in a US Open Cup game when the Chicago Fire lost 3-0 to the Charleston Battery (USL). That in and of itself isn’t that crazy. What’s wild is who played goalkeeper for the Battery. Tim freaking Melia! Unbelievable.
Charleston’s goalkeeper that night? A guy named Tim Melia. https://t.co/yapKX29JOl— Jeff Rueter (@jeffrueter) November 23, 2020
- Gianluca Busio didn’t have the greatest game but he still put up some great stats.
Busio the youngest with a goal and assist in MLS playoff game. 3rd youngest postseason goalscorer in MLS history at 18 years 177 days.#SportingKC— Daniel Sperry (@sperrydaniel94) November 23, 2020
Just for Fun
- Does Tim say what it seems he’s saying? It’s like that Peter Vermes gif from the Vancouver Whitecaps season opening game.
- Nutmeg News: San Jose Earthquakes In-Flight WiFi Also Blocked By Tim Melia
- Good on Daniel Sperry from Last Word on Soccer and an occasional guest on the Shades of Blue Soccer Show for catching the SKC staff putting that extra rule on the board in the stadium. If you don’t get the reference, go watch the highlights from Orlando City and NYCFC.