Sporting Kansas City now knows the next three matches on the schedule after Sunday’s game versus Minnesota United. MLS unveiled the first three matches of the next phase and the MLS Cup Playoffs format.
After playing Minnesota United FC at home on Sunday, Sporting KC will have another two games at home. FC Dallas on Sept. 19 and Orlando City SC on Sept. 23 before again traveling to the Colorado Rapids on Sept. 27.
The other nine matches are to be scheduled in October through early Nov. 8 and will be announced at a later date. Those additional nine matches will round out a 23 game regular season.
Sporting KC has also bumped up the maximum number of fans that can attend to 18%, or approximately 3300 for each match. Previously only season ticket holders were given the opportunity but the general public will be allowed to purchase tickets.
The following will still be in effect at Children’s Mercy Park:
- Mandatory face covering for fans in attendance
- A socially distanced stadium seating plan
- A tailored ingress timing plan that promotes physical distancing
- Temperature checks for fans upon arrival
- Touchless ticket scanning and cashless payments at all transaction points
- Walkway instructions along the stadium concourse and social distancing markers throughout the venue
- One-way lines and pre-packaged meals and concessions
- Thorough sanitation practices by stadium staff before, during and after each match
MLS Cup Playoff format
The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs will be single-elimination matches hosted by the higher-seeded team in a straight bracket format culminating in MLS Cup on Dec. 12.
- 18 total clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs: 10 from East, 8 from West
- Western Conference: Top 8 teams qualify directly to Round 1
- Eastern Conference: Only the top 6 seeds qualify directly to Round 1. Seeds 7-10 will each compete in a play-in match:
- No. 7 seed vs. No. 10 seed
- No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed
- Lowest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 1 seed in East
- Highest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 2 seed in West