clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sporting KC II unbeaten run ends as comeback falls short in Tulsa

SKC II’s three-game unbeaten run ends with five points.

Tyler Freeman had a great coming off the bench
Thad Bell

A late rally wasn’t enough as Sporting KC II’s three-goal deficit proved to be too big of a mountain as they suffered their fourth defeat this season by a final score of 4-3 against FC Tulsa.

Rojay Smith and super-sub Tyler Freeman were the most impactful players going forward, accounting for all three goals and an assist.

Goalkeeper Brooks Thompson got his first start of the year as one of the two first team players on loan while defender Michael Lenis got his first professional start.

Tulsa had the first look of the game five minutes in when Lucas Coutinho’s strike from distance hit the crossbar.

SKC II found the opener in the seventh minute. Moments after Ropapa Mensah’s curling effort missed, SKC II piled on high pressure and won the ball from the goal kick taken short. Jake Davis poked the ball to Rojay Smith, who slotted the ball to the keeper’s left from inside the box.

Tulsa equalized 42 minutes in. Lucas Coutinho played in Rodrigo da Costa, who slid it past Thompson and into the right side of the goal.

The hosts took a 2-1 lead in the 45th minute. After da Costa’s shot was saved by Thompson, Marlon Santos knocked it in on the goal line.

Tulsa took a 3-1 lead in the 62nd minute when Darío Suárez converted a penalty. After Kayden Pierre gave away a penalty, Suárez stepped up and hit it straight down the middle as Thompson dove to his left.

Tulsa struck again in the 72nd minute through Joaquín Rivas. After playing a nice give-and-go, Rivas took the ball well from da Costa and applied a good one-touch finish past Thompson.

SKC II finally created another chance in the 85th minute. After Smith picked up a loose pass, he found Enoch Mushagalusa sprinting down the left, but Mushaglusa’s touch was a bit heavy and carried him wide. He ended up settling for a shot from a tight angle.

SKC II’s comeback started in the 87th minute when they made it 4-2. Smith picked up the short pass and delivered a ball for Tyler Freeman, who did well to beat the keeper with a volley from about eight yards out.

Sporting II made it 4-3 in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Tyler Freeman struck with a deadly free kick.

Wednesday’s loss drops Sporting KC II to seventh place of the Central Division with seven points and a 1-4-4 record. Tulsa jumps back into a playoff position in third place with 12 points and a 4-3-0 record.

Sporting KC II will return home for a Father’s Day matchup against the Indy Eleven on Sunday.

Sporting Kansas City II: Brooks Thomspson; Kayden Pierre; Danny Barbir; Aljaz Dzankic (Matt Constant 68’); Michael Lenis (Bailey Sparks 68’); Christian Duke (C); Petar Cuic (Jahon Rad 68’); Jake Davis; Enoch Mushagalusa; Ropapa Mensah (Dominik Resetar 23’) (Tyler Freeman 76’); Rojay Smith

Subs Not Used: Gavin Krenecki; Ozzie Cisneros

FC Tulsa: Sean Lewis; Matthew Sheldon; Jorge Luis Corrales; Kevin Garcia; Bradley Bourgeois (C); Eric Bird; Kembo Kibato (Ciaran Winters 77’); Lucas Coutinho (Joaquín Rivas 54’); Marlon Santos (Stanley Oganbor 77’); Darío Suárez; Rodrigo da Costa

Subs Not Used: Austin Wormell; Solomon Kwambe; Jerome Kiesewetter

Scoring Summary:

SKC — Rojay Smith (Jake Davis) 7’

TUL — Rodrigo da Costa (Lucas Coutinho) 42’

TUL — Marlon Santos 45’

TUL — Darío Suárez 62’

SKC — Tyler Freeman (Rojay Smith) 87’

SKC — Tyler Freeman 90+4’

Misconduct Summary:

TUL — Kembo Kibato (yellow card; foul) 18’

SKC — Aljaz Dzankic (yellow card; foul) 34’

TUL — Marlon Santos (yellow card; foul) 45+2’

SKC — Dominik Resetar (yellow card; argument) 45+3’

TUL — Raphael Ayagwa (yellow card; foul) 90+6’