clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sporting KC II survive against Indy to get first point in nearly a month

Indy was not clinical in front of goal

Thad Bell

Sporting KC II ended their five-game losing streak with a 1-1 draw against the Indy Eleven on Sunday at Children’s Mercy Park.

A goal from Wilson Harris shortly before halftime was canceled out by Jordan Hamilton’s goal in the 51st minute. SKC II lived dangerously at times but escaped with a 1-1 draw to end their five-game losing streak on Sunday at Children’s Mercy Park.

SKC II got their first point in nearly a month with Sunday's draw. They remain in last place of the Central Division but improve to 3-12-6 overall and 1-6-3 at home.

For game two of a five-game homestand, SKC II had eight first team players on loan. The non-first teamers included captain Christian Duke, Jayvin Van Deventer and Enoch Mushagalusa. There were a total of seven changes from last weekend’s 4-1 loss, including Petar Cuic who missed the matchday squad entirely.

The visitors started goalkeeper Jordan Farr with former SKC keeper Eric Dick on the bench. Joint leading scorer Jordan Hamilton got the start up top.

Indy’s Jordan Hamilton has the first couple chances inside the opening 20 minutes. An effort eight minutes in was well saved by SKC II keeper John Pulskamp before Hamilton sent a header in the 17th minute wide.

After missing a chance a couple of minutes earlier, Wilson Harris scored his first goal from open play of the season in the 40th minute. Harris found the finishing touch on a terrific ball in from Kayden Pierre on the right.

Indy equalized in the 51st minute after Amadou Dia lost the ball in his defensive third. The ensuing shot was saved, but the rebound fell to Hamilton, who couldn’t miss in front of an open goal.

Hamilton had another chance for Indy in the 63rd minute, but he sent his shot wide with just the keeper to beat. The visitors had another pair of chances minutes later when a ball went across the face of goal before substitute Gordon Wild had a header go wide.

SKC II finally had another good chance in the 71st minute. Cutting in on his right foot, Rojay Smith had a tame effort easily saved by the keeper.

Indy nearly found the winner when Manuel Arteaga’s effort in the 89th minute was saved onto the post. On the ensuing corner, SKC II barely managed to clear their lines unharmed.

The worst miss of the game came at the death. Substitute Jared Timmer had the ball centrally from six yards out and just Graham Smith, who was standing on the line, to beat. He took his time and hit it right into Smith’s chest as it deflected off the post before SKC II scrambled it clear.

Sporting KC II will finish out their five-game homestand when they host Memphis 901 FC next Sunday, Birmingham Legion FC the following Wednesday, and OKC Energy FC the following Saturday.

Sporting KC II: John Pulskamp; Amadou Dia; Graham Smith; Kaveh Rad; Kayden Pierre; Jake Davis (Jake Davis 62’); Christian Duke; Jayvin Van Deventer (Jahon Rad 74’); Enoch Mushagalusa (Rojay Smith 62’); Wilson Harris (Jamil Roberts 79’); Grayson Barber

Subs Not Used: Remi Prieur; Matt Constant; Isaiah LeFlore

Indy Eleven: Jordan Farr; Neveal Hackshaw; AJ Cochran; Karl Ouimette; Patrick Seagrist (Ayoze 82’); Gershon Koffie (Aboubacar Sissoko 73’); Jeremiah Gutjahr (Jared Timmer 60’); Nicky Law; Patrick-Lee Vassell (Gordon Wild 60’); Nick Moon; Jordan Hamilton (Manuel Arteaga 73’)

Subs Not Used: Eric Dick; Rece Buckmaster

Scoring Summary:

SKC — Wilson Harris (Kayden Pierre) 40’

IND — Jordan Hamilton 51’

Misconduct Summary:

IND — Jordan Hamilton (yellow card; foul) 58’

SKC — Grayson Barber (yellow card; argument) 64’

IND — Patrick Seagrist (yellow card; foul) 69’